If you’re running an online store powered by WordPress, chances are you’re using WooCommerce to manage your inventory. Understanding the different product types WooCommerce offers is essential for effectively showcasing and selling your products.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through adding various product types available, including Simple, Grouped, External/Affiliate, Variable, and Custom products.
Whether a beginner or an experienced WooCommerce user, this guide will help you optimize your product listings and boost your online sales. Let’s get started and unlock the full potential of WooCommerce!
How to Add Products Using Default WooCommerce Product Types
When adding products to your WooCommerce store, you can access a range of default product types. These product types provide flexibility in how you present and manage your inventory. Let’s take a closer look at the how-to to add products using default WooCommerce product types.
This is the most common and straightforward product type in WooCommerce. It represents a physical item that can be sold individually. You can set a product price, SKU, and stock information.
Here’s how to add simple products:
Navigate to the WooCommerce menu and click on “Products.” Click on the “Add New” button to create a new product.
Enter the product name, description, and other relevant details in the provided fields.
Scroll to the “Product Data” section and select “Simple product” from the dropdown menu.
Set the product’s regular price in the “General” settings. You can also add a sale price if required.
Manage the inventory settings by specifying the SKU (Stock Keeping Unit) and tracking the stock quantity.
Once you’ve filled in all the necessary details, click on the “Publish” button to make your simple product live on your WooCommerce store.
A grouped product combines multiple individual items into one group. It allows customers to purchase related products together. The price of a grouped product is calculated based on the prices of its components.
Here’s how to add grouped products:
- Scroll to the “Product Data” section and select “Grouped product” from the dropdown menu.
To add child products to the grouped product, you must create simple products first. If you’ve already created them, proceed to the next step.
- In the “Linked Products” section, you’ll find a text field labeled “Grouped products.” Add the names of the associated child products.
This product type is appropriate when listing items in your store without physically providing them. When customers buy an external/affiliate product, they are redirected to a specific URL provided by an external seller.
Here’s how to add external/affiliate products:
Scroll to the “Product Data” section and select “External/Affiliate product” from the dropdown menu.
In the “General” section, enter the URL of the external seller or the affiliate product you are promoting. Optionally, you can customize the button text on your store’s product page.
Variable products offer different variations of a base product, such as different sizes or colors. Each variation can have its own price, SKU, stock level, and attributes. This product type is ideal for showcasing products with multiple options.
Here’s how to add variable products:
- Scroll to the “Product Data” section and select “Variable product” from the dropdown menu.
- In the “Attributes” section, click on “add new” and then “Custom product attribute” dropdown and select the desired attribute for your variable product (e.g., size, color). Click on the “Add” button to apply the attribute.
- In the “Variations” section, choose how you want to create variations. You can either generate all possible variations at once or add them manually.
- To generate all variations simultaneously, select “Create variations from all attributes” and click the “Go” button.
- To add variations manually, click on the “Add Variation” button and specify the attributes for each variation.
- For each variation, set the specific details such as price, SKU, stock status, and other relevant information.
A virtual product is a type of product that does not exist physically and does not require shipping. It can be a digital item or a service. Virtual products do not have attributes like size or weight, as they are not applicable.
Here’s how to add virtual products:
- Scroll to the “Product Data” section and choose “Virtual product” from the product type dropdown menu.
- Set the virtual product’s price, SKU, and other relevant information.
Downloadable products are digital items that customers can download after purchase. These products can include e-books, software, music files, or other downloadable content. You can set download limits and expiration dates for these products.
Here’s how to add downloadable products:
Scroll to the “Product Data” section and choose “Downloadable product” from the product type dropdown menu.
- Click on the “Add file” button to upload the file associated with the product. You can provide a file URL or upload the file directly from your computer.
NOTE: Do not forget to add required and additional informations for all of your products. And click publish to add the product in your store.
Custom WooCommerce Product Types
In addition to the default product types, you can also create custom product types using specific plugins. These plugins tailor the product type according to your specific requirements.
Subscription Based Products
WooCommerce Subscriptions allows you to create subscription products, such as simple subscriptions and variable subscriptions. You can set up recurring payment options and effectively manage subscription products.
With WooCommerce Bookings, you can create bookable products in your store. Customers can choose from available time slots for booking, making it ideal for rentals, accommodation bookings, appointments, and events.
Membership Based Products
WooCommerce Memberships enables you to sell memberships as a product type. You can provide restricted access to different membership levels and combine memberships with subscriptions for added features like recurring payments.
With WooCommerce Product Bundles, you can create bundled products in your store. You can include various product types in a bundle, except for grouped and external products. Bundled products are an excellent strategy for upselling.
Auction Based Products
Auctions for WooCommerce introduces the auction product type, allowing you to feature auctions in your store. For each auction, you can set specifications such as start and end times, bid increments, and more.
Customers Also Ask
What is a simple product and variable product in WooCommerce?
In WooCommerce, a simple product is a standalone item with a fixed price and no variations. It’s used for selling products without options or choices.
On the other hand, a variable product allows you to offer different variations of a base product, such as different sizes or colors. Each variation can have its own price and attributes.
How to select a product type in WooCommerce?
Go to “Products” in your WooCommerce dashboard. Click on “Add Product” or edit an existing product. In the “Product Data” section, select your desired product option from the dropdown menu.
Is there a limit to the number of products I can add to my WooCommerce store?
No, there is no limit. WooCommerce allows you to add unlimited products to your store. You can add as many products as you need to run your online store.
Resources you’ll love
- How to Add Featured Products in WordPress
- How to Add WooCommerce Product Carousel
- Introducing New & Advanced ProductX Query Builder for Effortless Product Sorting
- Gutenberg WooCommerce Builder for ProductX: Redesign Your Full Store Dynamically
- How to Add WooCommerce Product Search: A Guide to Enhance Shopping Experience
In conclusion, Adding the various product types in WooCommerce is crucial in maximizing sales and effectively managing your online store. By leveraging default options and custom ones, you can present your inventory in a versatile and organized manner.
With powerful plugins to add custom products, you can enhance the shopping experience, drive sales, and unlock the full potential of your WooCommerce store.
You can check out WordPress video tutorials on our YouTube Channel. Also, find us on Facebook and Twitter for regular updates!