A WordPress filter lets you regulate the contents of blocks to make your website more organized and accessible for your visitors. If you build your site with the PostX plugin you can use the Ajax-powered Filter feature. So how can WordPress filter posts by category and tag?
To filter WordPress Posts by category and tags you need to follow the below steps.
- Install PostX Gutenberg Post Blocks
- Turn on Filter from General settings
- Choose Filter Type
- Add Categories or Tags for filtering
Why PostX is the best WordPress filter Plugin
PostX’s filter gives you the best performance by minimizing your work and maximizing your success. No longer do you need to create separate pages for content that already exist on your website, to put together similar materials.
With PostX filter powered by ajax technology, you can assemble all your similar content in a single place without even reloading the page. All it takes is a single click with PostX Gutenberg Post Blocks.
You may also like to read about:
WordPress Filter Posts by Category and Tag (Step by Step)
I have mentioned the steps of WordPress Filter Posts by category and tag. Now I am going to explain all the steps.
Step 1: Install PostX
First of all, you need to install the PostX plugin from the WordPress directory. Click on add new button from the Plugins sections and search for PostX. Install and activate the plugin. After installing the plugin you can create a custom home page with it. There are multiple blocks and starter packs available to use while creating a Home page.
👉 Get PostX Pro to unlock all exciting features and make amazing Websites
Step 2: Turn on Filter from General settings
PostX’s filter can be used with almost all of our blocks. However, to keep the interface intuitive and easy to use, some of our plugin widgets remain inactive at first. You can easily turn on the widgets you need with a simple click without overflowing the menu with tools and widgets.
To turn on the filter widget you simply need to go to the setting tab and then to general settings. Here you will find a filter with a sliding button. To make the filter widget visible you simply need to click on this button. Now scroll down and you will see that the filter settings have appeared in the settings tab.
Feeling bored while reading? you can also watch the quick tutorial video on WordPress Posts Filter using PostX.
Step 3: Choose Filter Type
PostX’s WordPress filter comes with an easy-to-use and intuitive user interface. Anyone with a basic knowledge of computers can use this WordPress filter.
This cutting-edge WordPress filter gives in your hand the best WooCommerce filter by category and by tag. You can use either of them to filter your content for better navigation. So that your visitors find what they are looking for in a matter of seconds.
All Filter Text: Visitors to your website usually look for the things they are interested in. Through PostX’s WordPress filter, they can find things relevant to them without even reloading the page.
Once they are done browsing through the filtered content, they might want to go back to all contents where nothing is filtered. This feature takes your visitors back to the unfiltered content where everything is displayed.
With the “All Filter Text” feature of PostX, a small text will appear on your block that will take your visitors back to all your content. Nothing will be filtered here. You can customize this text according to your needs to properly merge it with your content. To do so you simply need to change the text in the box.
Filter Type: It gives you complete control over how you want to use this filter. Whether filter by category or filter by tag, it is completely up to you.
Before all, you need to decide how you want to filter. Once you have decided. Simply change the filter type from the box. Depending on your choice the box below the filter type will change. If you choose the category filter it will show the category and if you choose to filter by tag it will show the tag.
Step 4: Add the Categories or Tags
The next thing you need to do is simply add the categories or tags you want to use. To do so simply choose the one you want to add from the category or tag box. Clicking on it will add it to your block. You can add as many as you want.
Typography: Changing the typography of the categories and tags makes it easier for visitors to spot them. Doesn’t matter if it’s filtered by category or filter by tag. You can easily change the typography of your category or tag texts.
The typography section includes common settings like font size, line height, letter spacing, font-weight, style, decoration, and more. All the free fonts are here in one place for you to use.
Other Important Settings
Many other important settings like border-radius, margin, and padding can also be adjusted. These setting are especially very detail-oriented so that you can account for every little change and build your website with precision.
Normal Filter Settings: In this section, you will be able to tweak with some very common yet useful PostX’s WordPress filter settings. Whether it is a category filter or a filter by tag, it makes no difference. You can use the same settings for both.
- Firstly you can change the color of your category or tag text in this section. This will only change the actual color of your category or tag text.
- Secondly, You can change the background color of the category and tag texts from this section. It only changes the immediate background color of your category or tag texts. This can help your categories or tags stand out from the rest of the block.
- Thirdly, You can even customize the borders of your category and tags from this section. Gutenberg’s WordPress filter offers you a variety of options to choose from.
Hover Filter Settings: This feature changes the color of your category or tag text, immediate background color, and border when you hover your cursor over it. It gives the visitor visual feedback and makes navigation much easier. The hover filter settings work identically with filter by category and filter by tag.
- Firstly you can easily change the hover color of your text. For example, if you change the hover color to red, your category or tag text color will change into red when you place your cursor over it. You can choose any color that suits your content.
- Secondly, the hover background color of the category and tag texts can also be changed to your liking. For instance, if you change the hover background color to green, the immediate background color of your category or tag text will be changed into green when you place your cursor over it.
- Thirdly, the hover border type of the category and tags can also be customized. It works much like the hover color and the hover background color. Additionally, you can customize the border type and color along with the width of the border.
WordPress Filter Posts by Category Dropdown
Dropdown filters by category or tag are mostly used in WooCommerce. However, I heard a few of the PostX users are want to know about the category dropdown. But the question is can WordPress filter posts by category dropdown?
Yes, WordPress filter posts by category dropdown if you are using the Ajax-powered filter of the PostX. For now, the filter dropdown is available for mobile devices. So, if you add five or more categories then the mobile users can experience the dropdown filter.
You can also disable the dropdown filter options if you want to showcase all categories without dropdown. Don’t forget to check out the dropdown filter setting options.
- Firstly, you can change the text color of your categories or tags in the dropdown menu to your liking. The right color combination will not only make the menu easy to use but also stylish.
- Secondly, you can change the hover color of your categories or tags. For example, if you change the hover color to blue, the color of your categories or tags in the dropdown menu will change to blue when you put your cursor over them. This helps navigation tremendously.
- You can also change the dropdown background color to your liking. The color scheme is completely under your control with Gutenberg’s WordPress Filter.
- Other features such as Dropdown Radius and Dropdown padding can also be customized. This allows you to account for every tiny detail in position.
FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Difference Between Categories and Tags?
Categories refer to a specific genre, topic, or group of topics. These topics are more often than not interconnected. It is a more general process by which we put together similar content.
Tags, on the other hand, go much deeper than just referring to a specific genre. Specific things, details are mentioned in tags. Consequently, one blog post may contain multiple tags.
Should You Use Categories or Tags?
If you want to group similar content according to more general topics, then filtering by category will work better for you. On the contrary, if you want to put together content according to more detailed information, tags will give you a better result.
Can WordPress filter posts by tag only?
Yes, You can filter posts using tags only. While editing a page using PostX, you can select single or multiple tags from the filter type section to filter specific posts.
Can WordPress filter blog posts by category?
Yes, You can filter posts by category. While editing a page using PostX, you can select single or multiple categories from the filter type section to filter specific posts.
That’s all about WordPress filter posts by category and tag. Now you can use the Ajax-powered filter of the PostX Gutenberg Post Blocks Plugin. If you still have any problems, please leave a comment below.
👉 Get PostX Pro to unlock all exciting features and make amazing Websites